Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Secretary - Rachel!

Being part of the COSDU committee was my way of building a closer relationship with God and the catholic community. I had wanted something that would make me stay committed to attending the weekly Friday sessions at the very least as I live outside the city and often find myself get too “lazy” to drive down to the city after a long week. I thought that if I held a position of responsibility, it would be my obligation to become more involved in COSDU. What started off as a duty became something much more, I feel now that not only has my faith deepened, but also that I have formed ties of friendship which I believe will last a lifetime.

I was familiar with the duties of a secretary, yet still felt unprepared when I first took up the position. But like everything, we learn as we go along and I was lucky enough to receive some guidance from my predecessor. As a secretary, you would be expected to take down minutes during committee meetings, complete event application forms, attend training sessions with the other executive committee members as well as prepare and make announcements during Friday sessions. All those OCD needs can be satisfied by constantly checking the COSDU email to ensure that the club is well informed and always kept in the loop. You will often be working closely with the treasurer, so pray hard that he/she is tolerable! (I am only joking) You will also find yourself having to liaise with UMSU and MUOSS on certain matters of the club, more so prior to an upcoming event. The busiest times would usually be at the start (orientation and recruitment of new members) and at the end of the semester when there is an Annual General Meeting (AGM) to be held.

The willingness to learn and improve I believe is most important. Being organised and meticulous in one’s work are no doubt qualities that would help you become a great secretary. The beauty of being in this committee is that you will always have your fellow comrades (ie. other committee members) to turn to when you are at a crossroads or when you need a shoulder to cry on.  So if you are interested in running for this position and would like to know about it, please do not hesitate to come have a chat to me after one of the Friday sessions! Till then, have a good week!

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *