Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Social Justice Coordinator - Christabelle!


Ever since I was a young child, I loved going to help others whether or not it took place locally or internationally. The feeling of being able to bring a smile to others in turn brought a warm sensation into my heart. One year after a trip to Cambodia and Laos, I decided that I wanted to do justice for the world.

Some may wonder, what is justice? Or how do you stand up for something? Does it entail you to going far away places, investing in lots of money and doing extremely great things? No.  Being a social justice coordinator doesn’t require you to be all that. It just requires a burning desire to want to serve and more importantly, to serve for God.

God made us to be little light bearers of Him, to spread His light and message around the world. However, this job never comes easy. Each day in living as a disciple of Christ, we get questioned on many things that we don’t have real answers to. Someone once asked me, “Why try when the government decides everything? God isn’t going to come down and literally fill the world with his presence. So belle, why bother? Really? Why bother?” That question caught me tongue-tied. I had no answer for her, I had no real evidence to show why I wanted to make this world a better place. All I knew was that I had a burning desire in me to make a difference. To make a difference for God’s glory.

My point being, social justice isn’t always going to be easy, social justice is going to be hard because people will doubt you, people will mock you, and you will be criticized for doing what you do. But never forget, Jesus went through all that, just 100x worse, and He made it through. He made it through and proclaimed the word of God.

Being a Social Justice coordinator would entail you to plan several social justice sessions/activites for COSDU, coordinating trips down to places like Little Sisters of The Poor to give COSDU an opportunity to give back to the community, probably take part in several volunteering stints outside such as tutoring the disadvantaged, raising funds for project compassion or even finding means and ways to help the homeless and starving. Through doing all these, it’s helped me to realize that I am just one very fortunate person amidst all the many others who are more disadvantaged than I am. Going to Cambodia and Laos truly opened my eyes to the things unseen and to the things left unspoken. It helped me to see God amidst the most fragile of mankind and the most broken.

Social justice may seem like something challenging or out of your comfort zone. But trust me, if you have the passion and the courage to do something for God and for the world, God will always be waiting for you with open arms to help serve Him. Who knows? Social Justice may just be for you, and you’ll only realize it if you give it a shot!

Therefore, I am urging all of you here to not let the face of unfamiliarity or difference scare you away. Instead, be courageous and not give up on a world that may sometimes seem unjust and broken because God will always be worth fighting for, and He will be there with you every step of the way. (:


No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *